Because Mourning Cloak is a non- organization, services will be offered to schools, hospices, churches, funeral homes and youth homes at their sites. As various sites have need for Mourning Cloak’s services, it would be beneficial both emotionally and monetarily for separate schools, hospices, churches, and funeral homes to combine and offer these services at one of their sites. However, when an individual site has three or more children or teens that have grief needs, a group may be formed at that particular site.
Peer Support Groups
Mourning Cloak provides regularly scheduled sessions on MONDAY EVENINGS FROM 6:15 - 7:30 PM at the Unitarian Church North at 13800 N Port Washington Rd., in Mequon. Our peer support groups allow children,teens, young adults and adults to interact with their peers who also have or will soon experience a death. This allows participants to express their fears, anger, guilt, and sadness in a safe environment. Utilization of art, music, writing, and storytelling helps to promote the healing process. I and trained volunteers facilitate the various age groups:
- Ages 4 – 7
- Ages 7 – 9
- Ages 9 – 12
- Ages 12 – 14
- Ages 14 – 18
- Young Adults (ages 18 - 30)
School Programs and Support
Resource and Referral
School Staff Support
- Guidance for parents and teachers working with a grieving child
- Professional referrals to social workers and psychologists in the community
School Staff Support
- Eight week support groups for elementary, middle and high schools. A group will consist of three or more students. This is usually coordinated with the guidance counselor within the school.
- Presentations for teachers, counselors and administrators are provided at school meetings, inservices and workshops. Presentations will be customized to the situational needs of the staff. It is recommended that at least a half hour be set aside for the presentation.
- Consultations regarding the needs of a grieving student, class, or school
- Workshops for educators and other school personnel
Community Outreach and Education
- Eight week support groups for elementary, middle and high school age children and teens are offered at many different sites. A group will consist of three or more students. Please contact Pat Morrissey if you would like to organize a group at your community facility or youth home.
- Mourning Cloak provides support and training for people in our community who come in contact with grieving children and want to help. Presentations are made to schools, hospices, churches, businesses, and civic organizations in order to provide them with a greater understanding of the needs of grieving children and teens, as well as families who are facingl life-threatening illnesses.
Thanksgiving and Holiday Candle Lighting
Held at a church or other facility, the Candle Lighting Ceremony gives each grieving child and/or family an opportunity to light a candle in Remembrance of the person who died and share a special Memory or Memories and a also a message of Thankfulness for what the person has brought to his/her life.
Mourning Cloak needs volunteers for our peer support groups. Fifteen hours of training, over the period of three sessions, is offered to anyone, age 18 or older, who would like to be a facilitator for our grief support/education groups.